Skopje-based disco post-punk activists Bernays Propaganda are definitely one of the region's most successful and internationally acclaimed underground music acts.
So far, the band has released four critically appraised full-lengths on Moonlee Records ("Happiness Machines", 2009; "My Personal Holiday", 2010; "Zabraneta Planeta", 2013; "Politika", 2016), toured Europe countless times (more than 100 concerts in 2013 alone) and even toured the US for six weeks in Spring 2014.
2015 opened a new chapter in the band’s history. After a few lineup changes, Bernays Propaganda was reincarnated with a new sound and renewed vision. The result was their full-length "Politika" (released March 2016), which flirted with pioneering new wave. Jangly guitars were set in the background while a stomping drum machine was put to the forefront, dictating a new dancefloor-oriented pace. The new material recalled the sound of New Order and other new wave artists from the early 80s as well as the tropes of German indietronic acts such as The Notwist, a band that underwent a similar sonic transformation on their album “Neon Golden”.
After a brief hiatus between 2017 and 2018, during which Vasko Atanasovski, Rado Jordanovski and Deni Krstev focused on their project 21 vek, an expanded Bernays Propaganda returned in December 2018 with a fresh EP. 3-tracker "Ništo nema da nè razdeli", out on Moonlee Records, Geenger Records, Balkan Veliki and Pop Depresija, comes as an appetizer for the upcoming full length, “Druga mladost, treči svetski rat”, which is set to be released in September 2019.
The current extended lineup includes:
- Kristina Gorovska - Vocals, lyrics, vocal harmonies, art direction and design
- Vasko Atanasoski - Music, lyrics, bass, guitars, percussions, arrangements, production,vocal and management
- Deni Krstev - synths, rhythm programming, recording, editing and mastering
- Rade Jordanovski - bass and production management
- Kristijan Lafazanovski - drums and percussion
Dance, clap and sing,
Celebrate civil disobedience, human rights and freedom,
This is a political dance!
“One of the top 20 world’s current post punk bands” Caught in the Carousel
“Revolutionary politics set to a relentless ass shaking dance beat” Maximum Rocknroll
“Third most important Ex-Yugoslavian record from 1991 ‘till 2015” Rolling Stone (Croatia)
- 11.01.2017 @ CAB03, Leiden (NL)
- 12.01.2017 @ De Etage, Groningen (NL)
- 13.01.2017 @ De Spieghel, Groningen (NL)
- 17.02.2017 @ Mkc, Skopje (MK)
- 18.02.2017 @ Mkc, Skopje (MK)
GenreIndie-pop, dance-punk, new wave
Years active2007 - present
- Kristina Gorovska - vocals, lyrics, vocal harmonies, art direction and design
- Vasko Atanasoski - music, lyrics, bass, guitars, percussions, arrangements, production,vocals and management
- Deni Krstev - synths, rhythm programming, recording, editing, mastering